Saturday 5 May 2012

Sandwich review: Tandoori Chicken, from Tesco "Handmade" range


The official description for this sandwich is:
Tandoori chicken, tomato, yogurt and mint dressing, red peppers and coriander on malted brown bread.
It sounds like a good recipe, and I had high hopes for this sandwich.  Sadly, though, I was disappointed. 

The majority of the ingredients are bland, and devoid of flavour.  (I would expect slightly more spice from "tandoori" chicken, and I would hope to taste mint in a "yogurt and mint dressing.)  But this lack of interest isn't even the main problem with this sandwich - in fact, it's difficult to discern at all, at first, over the prevalence of the coriander.

This sandwich is absolutely stuffed full of coriander, and the result is that it massively overpowers everything - not just the other ingredients in the sandwich, but the taste any food product within a half-mile radius of this sandwich is masked by its all-consuming coriander-y-ness.

I'm not saying that I don't like coriander (I do) but this sandwich take the concept of "too much of a good thing" to a whole new level!  And once I had fought my way through the dense coriander jungle, and was hoping that the rest of the sandwich, once coriander-free, would provide a good balance of flavours, I was again let down by its blandness.

So, on the one hand, too full of coriander for its own good, while on the other being bland and uninteresting, suffice to say I was not impressed by this sandwich, and I shan't be buying it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment - give your feedback, answer a question, start a debate, make a point, or simply hurl abuse... It's up to you! ;)